Medical Device Development
A partial FDA definition for a medical device is, “an instrument, apparatus, implement, machine, contrivance, implant, in vitro reagent, or other similar or related article, including a component part… intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, in man or other animals.” From this definition it is evident that a medical device can cover a wide variety of uses and applications. Medical device development means not only engineering a device that is physically and chemically sound but also navigating the complex regulatory hurdles put in place to keep people safe.
Medical Device Development at EKG Labs
EKG Labs is an industry expert in providing medical device development support services. We provide a variety of services that help describe device performance characteristics of a medical device product. One of our specialties is providing analytical services that support the development of medical devices that are implanted or come into contact with the human body. We provide services that help our clients answer questions like:
- What is the biocompatibility profile of my implantable device?
- What are the device performance characteristics of my product?
- Does the manufacturing process of my device impact its biocompatibility?
- What is the identity of this unknown impurity and should it be investigated further?
- What tests and regulatory data do I need to submit my device for regulatory approval?
- Does my polymer dissolve at the appropriate rate?
- Is my pump delivering medication at the appropriate rate?
Our medical device development services include:
- Extractables and Leachables
- Impurity Identification
- Biocompatibility for Medical Devices
- Specialty Devices
- Device Materials
EKG Labs Medical Device Development Service Expertise
- Intraocular Lenses
- Drug-Eluting Stents
- Orthopedic Devices
- Dental Implants
- Cardiac Devices
- Dermal Wound Care
- Diabetic Devices
- Vascular Devices
Find out more about our medical device product expertise.
EKG Labs Material Expertise
We have experience providing services for diverse materials in a variety of medical device products. These materials include:
- Composite Materials
Learn more about our material expertise.