What is Failure Analysis?
A failure analysis is conducted when a product does not meet predefined performance criteria by the end user. The reasons for failure are diverse and identifying the root cause quickly can be critical to ensuring the financial wellbeing of the manufacturer or welfare of the consumer. Often, the failures are chemical in nature and have to do with unexpected modifications or contamination of the formulation. Sources of these failures can include vendor changes, mishandling of ingredients by manufacturing personnel, leaks or contaminants from assembly line components, inappropriate storage and many more.
Failure Analysis at EKG Labs
EKG Labs provides failure analysis services to a variety industries and product categories. We excel at identifying unknown material and deducing its possible source. Our team has performed hundreds of failure investigations over their combined careers which gives them unique insight into determining the root cause of the chemical failure.
Industry and Product Experience
- Pharmaceutical and OTC Products
- Medical Device Products
- Consumer Products
- Personal Care Products
- Home and Cleaning Products
- Food and Beverages
Failure Analysis Techniques
- Chromatography – HPLC, LC/MS, GC, GC/MS, GC/FID, GC/TCD, GPC/SEC
- Spectroscopy – ICP-MS, NMR, MS, PXRD, TF-XRD, UV-Vis, FTIR, Raman
- Microscopy – SEM, TEM, AFM, STM, LSCM
- Other- TGA, DSC, TOC, BET Surface Area/Pore Size Analyzer