What is Deformulation?
Deformulation, also called reverse engineering, is the process of identifying and/or quantifying one or more unknown chemical components of a formula. This process is performed for a variety of reasons. Often, clients may wish to gain greater understanding of a competitor’s product or to discover if a competitor is inappropriately using a patented material or process. Deformulation is also useful in determining if an upstream vendor has a contaminant in their formula or if an unannounced formula change is affecting downstream product performance.
Deformulation at EKG Labs
EKG Labs provides formulation services for a variety of consumer and regulatory products. Our strength in analytical chemistry enables us to characterize and identify unknown materials in a formulation and supply you with a likely recipe. We can carry out root cause investigations, and we can support patent infringement cases as an expert witness. Our experience includes:
- Consumer Products
- Personal Care Products
- Home and Cleaning Products
- OTC Pharmaceutical Products
Deformulation Analytical Techniques at EKG Labs
- Chromatography – HPLC, LC/MS, GC/MS, GC/FID, GC/TCD, GPC/SEC
- Spectroscopy – ICP-MS, NMR, MS, PXRD, TF-XRD, UV-Vis, FTIR, Raman
- Microscopy – SEM, TEM, AFM, STM, LSCM
- Other- TGA, DSC, TOC, BET Surface Area/Pore Size Analyzer