What are Bioabsorbable Polymers?
Bioabsorbable polymers are materials used in implanted medical devices whose purpose is to provide physical structure and/or a delivery mechanism for a therapeutic purpose. The advantages of bioabsorbable polymers are that they can provide a physical support structure to assist healing and they can fully dissolve once their therapeutic purpose is complete.
Bioabsorbable Polymer Testing Services at EKG Labs
EKG Labs provides analytical testing services to support the development of medical devices that incorporate bioabsorbable polymers. We have experience working with a variety of bioabsorbable polymers including poly(glycolic acid) (PGA), poly(L-lactic acid) PLA and hydrogels.
- Extractable and Leachable Testing (ISO 10993)
- Degradation and Aging Studies
- Gel Permeation/Size Exclusion Chromatography
- Residual Solvents via Headspace Gas Chromatography (HS-GC)
- Hydroxyl and Carboxylic Acid End Group Titration
- Heavy Metal Analysis
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (NMR) for determination of copolymer ratios
- Customized analytical programs
Bioabsorbable Polymer Device Expertise
- Drug Delivery Systems
- Tissue scaffolds
- Wound Healing
- Regenerative Medical Devices